Neo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome Guest! We have moved our site to https://neclipse.jcink.net/index.php

Forging A New Path Forward [Flashback/Spectator Thread]

Kitsuki Kurahasa
    Kitsuki Kurahasa

Village : N/A
    Clan : N/A

Forging A New Path Forward [Flashback/Spectator Thread] Empty Forging A New Path Forward [Flashback/Spectator Thread]

Post by Kitsuki Kurahasa Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:20 am

The Exams did not end how she had wanted. Kitsuki had pictured herself in the Final Round, going toe to toe against the best that the world had to offer. She would be fighting for her school's pride, her family's honor, and even for her own prestige. She'd let people know that she had arrived. Kitsuki Kurahasa, the girl that had always fought in her big sister's shadow had finally become a kunoichi to be respected and feared. Unfortunately, it wasn't meant to be. She had lost to Rini Nakamura in the quarter-finals. She had expected to be heckled for her loss to a girl in the wheelchair, but as it quickly became apparent, Rini was no slouch. There was no shame in losing to a girl who had been selected to fight in the Final Round. She was an unlikely competitor, but she was a competitor all the same. Rini's ascension to the Final Round of the Exams was not even the most surprising thing about the competition. Kitsuki's friend Chigetsu had likewise reached the Final Round as well! Kitsuki hadn't been able to keep close tabs on the Hozuki since the Exams began. She knew the girl was involved but when she had seen Chigetsu's name on the bracket she was totally surprised. Chigetsu had come across as timid, unsure of herself, and by her own admission, utterly lacking in skill. The way she had told it, she had no hope of competing against the best of the best. But when Kit lost her round and Chigetsu advanced, it became clear that she had either been deliberately lying or so wound up in her own insecurities that she couldn't even acknowledge her own genius.

Kitsuki opted for the latter explanation.

Chigetsu had probably been so beaten down by her family that she really did think she was good for nothing. They had trained her to be stronger than anyone in the Exams and she was so hurt by their methods that she couldn't even see how strong she was. That bit made her angry. Not just because it was unfair to Chi, but because it meant that as cruel as their method was, it apparently worked. Kitsuki took this more personally than she did her loss to Rini. It appeared the cruelty and viciousness of the shinobi world had trained better warriors than the high minded ideals of the Sukimori School for War, Art, Science, and Philosophy. The bitter truth had caused Kit to withdraw to herself. Her family was proud of her for making it this far, but with Katsumi's untimely disappearance and the weight of her defeat, she didn't really feel like talking to anybody. Not even Zizz. Kitsuki had not blamed her companion for her defeat. Zizz had done the best that she could, but she was merely an engine. It was up to Kit to use her to her fullest extent. The Angel had been quiet recently and only responded when Kit asked her a direct question. It was as if the being could sense her struggle and had opted to let her sort it out on her own as opposed to injecting its own thoughts and desires into its host.

Kitsuki had to will herself to go watch the Final Round. She knew that it would be unfair if she didn't go and support her friend. She also had to respect Rini. She didn't like the way the girl had used a flute against her but she had to admit that the Kumo-Nin was a proper genius. What Kit had in terms of musical ability, Rini appeared to have in just about all areas that required brains over brawn. If she wanted to get stronger, then she'd need to watch her rivals. She needed to see them perform at the highest level so that she could use it as inspiration for her own journey. Kit had found a nice seat in the Royal House section of the stands. She had been sitting and watching the battle unfold when suddenly she heard a familiar voice behind her.

"I'm sorry Ma'am but is this seat taken?"
    "No you ca-"

Kitsuki paused and turned around. Her eyes widened in shock.

"Master Sukimori?!"

Forging A New Path Forward [Flashback/Spectator Thread] Latest?cb=20200414055058

Name: Sukimori Hyuuga
    Title: Grand Archon of the International Order of Oddfellows
    Occupation: Headmaster of the Sukimori School for War, Art, Science, and Philosophy

Kitsuki's jaw dropped. It hadn't even occurred to her that it was possible that the Headmaster could even leave the school. She was literally too stunned to speak. The man had been her idol. Ever since she had graduated from the WASP, she promised herself that she would do him proud and uphold his philosophies. Even Maestro Ko whose skills and talents were more in line with her own did not command such high esteem. To say she was infatuated would be something of an understatement.

The Headmaster smiled and took Kit's surprise to be a compliment. He gently seated himself next to her and watched the match unfold. The man was middle aged, closer to 40 than 30, but few knew his exact date of birth. His appearance was immaculate. He sported a well-trimmed beard, an expensive looking Japanese robe, slick backed hair, and a golden ring with a curious symbol engraved on its front. The cologne he wore was more expensive than most of the houses on the island. Kit's shock quickly turned to fluster as she set her eyes back on the fighting that was occurring in front of them.

What's he doing here? Did he see me lose to Rini? Oh god that's so embarrassing

Kitsuki kept on a poker face. She had always maintained excellent posture and etiquette. It was second-nature to her. She was as stiff as a board and as polite as a Queen. However, now that the Headmaster of the school that had taught her those things was here, she suddenly became rather aware of exactly how she was sitting and breathing. The Headmaster sensed her apprehension and spoke in a deep but friendly tone.

"Don't worry Kitsuki...I'm not here to admonish you or lecture you. I wanted to see how you were doing"

Kitsuki wondered if he was testing her somehow. She decided to be forthcoming about her loss.

"Thank you Headmaster Sukimori-sensei...but things didn't go as well as I'd like. I uh, I didn't get past the Quarter-Finals...I'm sorry. I failed you. I failed the school. I..."

She left it there. There was a lot going on in the world. Violence and cruelty were rising and it seemed that the world was depleted of heroes to turn back the tide. As much as she wanted to drown herself in music and forget the sorrows of the world, the WASP was counting on her. Headmaster Sukimori was counting on her. She chanced a glance in his direction and she saw how warm his expression was.

"Kitsuki. Its okay. I saw your match and I'm still proud of you. Genjutsu has never been your strong suit but you did your best. To make it to the Quarter-Finals is a wonderful testament to your character and strength. I've spoken to some of the higher-ups in your village and they assured me that your talent has not gone un-noticed. The girl you lost to may be handicapped but she embodies much of the same ideals we fight for. She is not limited by her disability, she goes beyond it and trust me when I say you could not have lost to a better opponent. I wanted to visit you so that I could tell you this personally....I am more than pleased with your development. I consider your journey to be proof that our pedagogical approach is still the best in the world "

Kit's face lit up when she heard the praise. She couldn't help but blush and look away as she kept watching the fight. It was good to hear that the Headmaster was proud of her performance. She was sad that he didn't get to see her fight at full power, but she had a feeling that someday he would. He didn't know about Zizz and she wasn't in the right headspace to tell him about it either. How exactly does one bring up the fact that they have a tiny Angel following them around everywhere that grants them super-strength, durability, and the ability to control time? Instead, she contented herself to enjoy the moment. Yes, she had lost but she had been acknowledged by one of the few people whose opinions mattered to her.

"I heard about Kat...you don't have much to worry about in that department either. She will turn up soon. Sooner than you might think. I know your worried but just know that she's alive."

Kit breathed a sigh of relief. Headmaster Sukimori was well-connected. He knew people in high places. If he said something with that kind of confidence, she knew that she could trust and believe him. She wanted to reach over and hug him in that moment but she restrained herself. A proper lady does not bowl over her companions with bear hugs, especially not while sitting down. The sporting event grew loud and the crowd cheered as the competitors fought with gusto and skill. Sukimori and Kitsuki were a bit of place with how well-behaved they were. Even in the Royal House section, people were clapping and cheering as Chigetsu Hozuki dominated the match-up. Kit's eyes narrowed as she followed his movements. He was controlling the pace of the fight using Water Release, a specialty of the Hozuki Clan's.

The Headmaster looked on and spoke as he watched.

"Each of them are skilled in their own way. They each excel at their chosen fighting styles and at the present moment it might even be fair to say that they are some of the strongest genin in the world. But. Without a vision, without an overarching purpose or goal...that's as strong as they'll ever be. Its the one thing that you have earlier than most other genin and its why you'll eventually surpass them"

Headmaster Sukimori spoke without taking his eyes off the match. Kitsuki was listening to every word he said. It was hard not to. His voice was like music to her ears.

"I understand...but sensei....I can't do the things they can do. Chigetsu is so good at Water Release, I..."

Out of nowhere, Chigetsu summoned a massive amount of water. Essentially creating a Kaijuu sized aquatic structure to help him do battle. Was this really the weak and timid child that she had shared milkshakes with only weeks prior?

"That! Stuff like that! I can't do it...I'm pretty okay. Good some might say. But not as strong as Katsumi, Not as smart as Rini. Not as.....versatile as Chigetsu or Zeke." It seemed that the most special thing about her crash-landed on the planet and wouldn't stop following her around. If it wasn't for Zizz would she even have made it to the Quarter-Finals? She had been a big fish in a small pond but if this was her competition, could she ever hope to match them even with Zizz's help?

"What good is our philosophy if its wasted on somebody with no talent?"

The older man frowned and looked at Kit.

"Where'd all this defeatist talk come from?"
    "I don't know I just..."

He shushed her with a finger to her lip.

"You're hurting. I can see it in your eyes Kitsuki. Losing a close family member and being defeated in front of hundreds of people can take their toll on you...but you must never forget what we taught you. Charity and service to others are your strength. If you feel alienated or beaten down...help someone. When you make it your mission to uplift and protect others, that is when you will find your true power. You don't have to be the fastest, smartest, the strongest, or even have the most unique arsenal. All you need is a good heart, hard work, and determination. The rest will follow...."

To most, this would be the most unhelpful advice in history. But to Kitsuki, it was a powerful and moving speech. The WASP had taught them how to be better fighters, thinkers, and artists. It had also taught them that ultimately the shinobi world was fraught with competition. There would always be people who could fight better than you, out-strategize you, and make art so beautiful they'd make your entire lineage weep. The WASP could make you the best, but there'd always be someone better. The only way to exceed your limits was to prioritize something bigger than your own personal development. The greater project of human-kind paled in comparison to one woman's ego and it was this reminder that had pushed generations of kunoichi to heights previously undreamt of. Kitsuki watched the remainder of the fight with grim determination. A sense of resolve began to grow inside her. It was a feeling all her own but once it started to spread, Zizz amplified it.

ⵜⵀⴰⵜ'ⵙ ⵡⵀⴰⵜ ⵉ'ⵠⴻ ⴱⴻⴻⵏ ⵡⴰⵉⵜⵉⵏⴳ ⴼoⵔ

Kitsuki and Headmaster Sukimori continued to watch the fight. He inquired after her, and she him. They had a fair bit of catching up to do as a great deal of events had transpired since she had graduated from his institution. Her ascension to the Royal House chief among them. It felt good to talk to the Headmaster again. She had needed his direction, guidance, and inspiration. She had figured that she'd probably never see him again or at least not for a very long time and so his arrival in Kirigakure had been a pleasant surprise. When the match ended in Chigetsu's favor, Kitsuki disregarded social etiquette and stood up and cheered far louder than any proper lady had a right to. She wanted to rush Chi, but with Headmaster Sukimori sitting right there, she knew there was no universe where her body would obey such a command. Instead, she began to exit the arena like everyone else. She'd celebrate this momentous victory with Chigetsu privately. Perhaps over some milkshakes or maybe something even far grander if the girl's palate allowed for it.

Headmaster Sukimori promised that he'd visit her and Kat again soon. They said their farewells and Kitsuki was left to ponder what he had said. She walked out of the arena with purpose and pride as she considered her future.

Fashion.
    Music.
    Politics.
    Fighting.

To be the woman that she wanted to be she'd need to excel at all four of those arenas. The Chuunin Exams had been a time of triumph, defeat, but above all else growth. She'd forge a new path forwards. She would not allow Chigetsu, Zeke, and Rini to leave her behind in the dust. She'd catch up to her rivals and even surpass them in time. But not for her sake, for the sake of the world's.

Yeah! Let's do this!

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 12:48 am